Casino Star Theatre Timeline
The Casino Star Theatre Foundation, a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation established on October 18, 2004, purchased the Star Theatre in Gunnison, Utah, on November 1, 2004, with the twin missions of restoring the building to its former beauty and reintroducing it as a cultural center for Gunnison Valley and surrounding areas.
- June 1912, Sims M. Duggins purchased property on Main Street in Gunnison.
- October 1912, after demolition of an existing adobe building, construction of the theatre began.
- January 13, 1913, the Casino Theatre opened for business. Sims and Emily Duggins occupied the second-story apartment until her death in 1917.
- July 1915, the Beaux Arts decorative columns and statuary were installed.
- 1918-1919, a rear addition was built, with basement dressing rooms and expanded stage facilities.
- 1928, Sims Duggins died; his second wife Lydia continued to live in the apartment until she moved to California in the late 1930's.
- 1934-1936, Russell Anderson managed the Casino Theatre.
- 1936-1940, C.E. Huish, who managed several theatres throughout Utah, assumed management of the theatre. Huish "modernized" the front of the building, added restrooms, replaced the seats, and installed draperies on the stage. He also added an electric sound system and a triangular marquee, emblazoned with the theatre's new name: Star Theatre.
- 1940-1941, Miss Lu Nielsen managed the Star Theatre and lived in the upstairs apartment.
- 1941, Cyrill E. Andersen and his family purchased the building, showing movies full-time until the mid-1950s and three or four nights per week thereafter.
- 1974, Cyrill E. Andersen died, and the theatre closed for a brief period.
- April 1974, the Andersen children sold the theatre to Max Curtis of Aurora, who continued a half-week movie schedule into the 1980s.
- December 1981, the Curtises sold the theatre to Ernest M. and Dawn S. Larson.
- October 1987, the theatre was approved for the National Register of Historic Places, under its original name, the Casino Theatre.
- 1992, the Larsons sold the theatre to Paul Mower of Payson who made improvements to the theatre, including technical upgrades for movie viewing.
- September 2004, the building came up for sale and Lori C. Nay deposited earnest money to negotiate a sale.
- October 18, 2004, Lori C. Nay and Diana Major Spencer established a 501(c)3 (non-profit) corporation with the twin missions of restoring the Casino to its original glory and reintroducing it as a cultural center of the Gunnison area.
- November 1, 2004, the Casino Star Theatre Foundation purchased the Star Theatre and renamed it "Casino Star" to reflect its entire 93-year history. The marquee read, "NEW OWNERSHIP THE INCREDIBLES PG"
- November 19-25, 2004, the Casino Star closed for a much-needed face-lift to the lobby.
- November 26, 2004, the theatre held its grand re-opening.