Mission. The Casino Star Theatre Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) organization that serves the residents of Gunnison Valley and the surrounding areas with a variety of wholesome live and film entertainment in a fully restored historic theatre. The Foundation also contributes to the economic health, public arts programs, and Main Street beautification of the community.
- the only theatre between Ephraim and Richfield
- offers first-run family-oriented movies six evenings per week
- quality live concerts of imported performers and exceptional local talent
- bargain programs to schools and businesses of the area
Partnerships and Public Art.
- Project Agent for public community and school grants where 501(c)(3) organization is required.
- recipient of Utah Arts Council Creative Community Initiative grant to create Sanpitch Dragon as a Public Art project
- recipient of second Creative Community Initiative grant for Bulldogs on Parade Public Art Project
- co-agent with Gunnison Valley Elementary School on Arts in Education grant to benefit Gunnison’s Sesquicentennial Celebration in 2009
- recipient of Utah Arts Council Arts Education grant to create undersea mural at Gunnison Swimming Pool
- co-recipient with Gunnison City of Arts Education grant for Heritage Wall
- listed on National Register of Historic Places since 1987
- opened January 13, 1913; under construction as vaudeville/movie palace since August 1912
- remodel in 1936 closed the vaudeville portion of the entertainment
- name of the theatre changed in 1936 from “Casino” to “Star.” The current designation, “Casino Star,” recognizes both historic former names.
- underground gasoline leak forces closure for 363 days, November 16, 2007 to November 14, 2008
- theatre reopens with vast interior improvements, new wiring and HVAC
- new sheathing, lath, and stucco; refurbished and replicated trim; refurbished original windows; repair and replacement metalwork and flashing keep the theatre behind scaffolding during 2010
- the long-awaited paint reveals the surprising beauty of Gunnison's iconic show-house.
Need. A restored, functional Casino Star Theatre is the catalyst to attract out-of-area visitors and to reinvigorate the spirit and pride of Gunnison City as the economic and cultural center of Sanpete County’s southern valley.